Inherently, medical disposable product mean that the device is to be used only once after opening and then discarding it. Some of them are of more than one-time usage but still only temporary and not a permanent solution. These are quite straightforward to use and the medical fraternity prefers to use the disposable products because of the nature of the usage in this high-risk field. Due to the uncomplicated, smooth management of medical products today, health workers do not have to go through the rigmarole of sterilisation for each reuse, making maintenance a fairly simple task.
To furnish top-quality care to patients, every medical foundation needs certain fundamental disposables such as,
- Surgical drapes and gowns - During surgery, sterile surgical drapes and gowns are used to avoid contact with vulnerable surfaces and to protect the sterility of environmental areas, apparatus and the patient’s safety.
- Healthcare kits - Kits have been standardised in the healthcare industry for effective packaging and delivery of medical apparatus and medicines to meet basic healthcare requirements. There are different kits for the varied requirements and they pack in just the correct amount of medical equipment and medicines. These could be an OT (Operation Theatre) kit, HIV/Aids kit, or a delivery kit, the area in which they can be used specifically, speaks for themselves.
- Veterinary gloves - These gloves have multiple uses for vets as well as grooming places for animals. Vets have to use gloves for artificial insemination or for examining the mouth, teeth etc and animals’ mouths are full of plaque, bacteria and foreign bodies. These gloves give first-rate security and safety to veterinarians and animal professionals. The disposable gloves help protect against dirt, bacteria, pet odours and biohazards.
- Surgical face masks - Surgical masks are designed to create a substantial barrier between the nose, mouth and the probable pollutants in the surrounding environment. These come in different thickness ranges and aid in preventing contact with liquid substances as well. These disposable face masks also help keep out bacteria and viruses while allowing for easy breathing.
- PPE kits - PPE stands for Personal Protective Equipments; these are suits that are designed to shield healthcare workers against all the contaminants in the work environment, which is typically a field of infections. Everybody in the healthcare profession and field today is at the risk of contamination through mouth, nose and contact. The PPE kit takes care of that efficiently. There are different types of PPE kits for different uses such as SIC kit, PPE kit and BVB kit; all designed for different healthcare professionals keeping the one goal in mind and that is safety first.
Besides this, there are multitudes of medical disposable products that are required in the healthcare industry due to the nature of their work.
Some of these are also listed below, although this is just the tip of the iceberg.
- Plastic aprons
- Plain sheets
- Circumcision device
- Biomedical waste collection bag
- Spill management kit
- Pap smear kit
- Shoe covers
- Haemoglobin colour scale kit
- Compostable gloves
- Salt test kit
- Portable ECG device
Of late, the healthcare sector has come into its own by the way of becoming more aware of the infections and how easily they can contaminate owing to the revelation that Covid-19 left behind. Hence, the medical disposables manufacturing community has started to analyse medical solutions and bring about changes to create safe environments as well as impacting the target severely to achieve its maximum safety usage results.
There are a considerable number of start-ups after the pandemic producing medical disposable products. And there are established companies that have scaled up in their perseverance to achieve the same.
It is impossible to list out all the top companies in India because there is tough competition in the field but there are a few that come to mind as the pioneers in the field.
Some of the top medical disposable product manufacturers of India are:
- Surgeine Healthcare (India) Pvt. Ltd.
- Plasti Surge Industries Pvt. Ltd.
- Primewear Hygiene (India) Products Ltd.
- SURGIWEAR LTD.
- Halyard Worldwide, Inc.
- Amaryllis Healthcare Pvt. Ltd.
- Thea-Tex® Healthcare (India) Pvt. Ltd.
- E-Spin NanoTech Pvt.Ltd.
- Magnum Health and Safety Pvt. Ltd.
These companies have gained great mileage due to the extensive experience they have had over the years in this industry. Supplying such disposable items at a reasonable cost involves a whole lot of logistics as well as experience in management. Sourcing and procurement of the material, a guarantee of quality with regular quality checks, assembly and safe warehousing of these products require a tremendous amount of involvement and action.
The complexities are managed well by the top-level companies to strengthen the weakened healthcare systems worldwide. These Indian companies have reached the top due to their persistence in the pursuit of delivering disposable healthcare products with utmost precaution.
“Disease, sickness, and old age touch every family. Tragedy doesn't ask who you voted for. Health care is a basic human right.”
- Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren.