In 2020, when the enormity of the pandemic hit the world, WHO (World Health Organisation) knew they had to take matters into their hands gravely and make sure every part of the world received proper equipment and that equipment was first and foremost PPE equipment. At the time, the world was facing severe disruption in terms of testing kits, masks, gloves, barrier shield gowns etc. The demand was skyrocketing and the supply became twenty times higher in price as everybody went into a frenzy. WHO reached a point of exacerbation as the stocks of PPE for the global crisis depleted worldwide causing insufficient supply. The other big problem was that some of the countries were stockpiling which made matters worse. Besides the fact that many of these frontline workers weren’t equipped with training as to how to use the PPE gear correctly so as to get maximum barrier out of it.
PPE manufacturers in India worked overtime also to supply the increased demand in the PPE Kit. The PPE kit material used is synthetic, usually polypropylene, polyester, polyethylene, or something on these lines.
Let's look at the correct usage of the PPE Kit as announced by PPE Manufacturers.
PPE Safety Tips
- Inspect the environment: Assess and analyse the safety requirements to select the correct PPE for the employees and their safety at workplace hazards.
- Training for employees at the workplace: It is the employer’s responsibility to ensure that the appropriate training is imparted to all the employees in the usage, care, maintenance and limitations of PPE.
- Choose comfort and the correct material: Non-woven materials which are non-absorbent and create a barrier between the healthcare workers and the patient to prevent contamination of fluids and germs. Also, comfort is of utmost importance as it not only encourages the staff to wear it, it also cannot be too loose or too tight for the same reasons as above.
- Following regulations: Selling of PPE suits have compliances that need to be adhered to. Different markets have compliances but the basics remain the same more or less. These regulations consist of any equipment that is designed to be worn, and also interchangeable fundamentals like filters and systems that attach equipment to external devices.
- Product testing: Sample testing is an important step in the process of PPE Kits before they go into production. Any potential risks and challenges faced have to be noted down and checklist with each product. Testing has to be done regularly depending on the environment and application of the product. For example, for any wearable PPE suit, biological resistance should be assessed by conducting antibacterial and antimicrobial tests.
- Build a safety plan that is comprehensive: Due to the hazardous nature of the environment in the healthcare industry and the compliances to be followed, applications of safety rules and regulations need to be adhered to. For facilitating safety, have documentation and audits in place for the surgical and other procedures, equipment handling, environmental conditions and emergency protocols.
- Safety culture with best safe work practices: Once the safety plan is in place, it needs to be vocalised with all the personnel involved in the healthcare system, may they be professional or administrative. Safety regulations should be top priority and each person should be trained to handle the equipment well. With this in mind, adherence of safety procedures is very important to prevent the spread of contamination.
- Proper PPE to be used: PPE Kits have a number of different components such as lab coats, masks, gloves, surgical gowns, drapes, safety goggles, and shoe covers to name a few. Each environment has a different use and needs for the kind of PPE equipment. The wide selection is designed based on the hazards present at the site. Whether they are chemical-splash protection, flame-resistant, or a combination of both.
- The approach needs to be re-evaluated regularly: Hazards can be of many natures and cannot be avoided in a foolproof manner even if all the safety regulations are in place. Keeping eyes open to any potential safety issues and keep abreast of new innovations to implement in the safety program will aid in improving the safety culture in time.
To promote safety in the healthcare industry, Plasti Surge Industries Pvt. Ltd. has pioneered safety equipment that is world class. Exporting throughout the world, they especially came through with production of PPE Kits exponentially during the global pandemic. Learn more by visiting their site https://www.psidispo.com/.